5/31/12

20-Day Countdown! The Top 20 Tony Performances of My Lifetime: #10: JANE EYRE, 2001

Ten days until the Tony Awards! We are at #10 on my 20-day Countdown of the Top 20 Tony Performances of My Lifetime.

Yay!  We finally get into a musical that makes my ACTUAL top ten list of favorite musicals of all time: Jane Eyre.  This old, well-known story got the royal treatment with this musical because every song feels like a burst of fresh air, and there's really not much wasted space in between the gems.  (Anyone who knows me knows that I don't say that lightly or often.)

The only unfortunate thing about this particular performance is that it is far too rushed so that it will fit into the Tony Award time slot, which is an absolute tragedy for this beautiful piece; but well, considering it got completely overlooked at the Tonys, winning zero of its five nominations (The Producers swept that year), I suppose we are just lucky that the cast got to perform at all!  A death at the Tonys is a death at the theater, and Jane Eyre closed only days after the winner-takes-it-all awards show left the cast empty-handed, with 36 previews and 209 performances under its belt.

A chance to see James Barbour, the man who plays Edward Fairfax Rochester in this incredible show, perform ANYWHERE, ANYTHING, at ANY TIME is a chance you absolutely must take, however, even if it's a rushed performance of a glorious song.  Because, seriously, he is one of those performers who, if his name is on the cover, the CD is in my hand.  He has a baritone voice that will make your jaw drop.  So, without further ado, I'll let him show you for himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment